Tuesday, February 1, 2011

J.D. Salinger and other authors.

I was recently reminded of this Catcher in the Rye quote from J. D. Salinger's 1951 masterpiece: 


"What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though." 
Holden Caulfield in Chapter 3 



The quote made me realize I am very fortunate, and that it may seem I have been a little too cute about some of the content of this blog. 


Last things first. The way I may have been too cute is by mentioning meetings, conversations, and classes with a novelist who I have yet to put a name to. The reason is not to build suspense or be clever; instead it is because I am reluctant to share her identity and the very abbreviated content of our conversations without checking with her first. I have yet to do that. Maybe I will. 


But I am fortunate because I do personally know and like a writer whose work I admire. Not only that, but she has been very supportive and generous with me concerning my own art and writing. When I think about it, it really knocks me out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Brief Publishing Update

 It’s been a month since last I wrote. I’m trying to recommit to blogging. Today I’m attempting this on my phone, which is likely a poor dec...